Professor of Transport Safety
Phone: +44 (0)113 34 35348
Research Group: Human Factors and Safety
Key Research Interests
- New technology and safety; driver assistance systems; speed management; driver distraction; the design and use of driving simulators for safety research; road traffic accident causation.
- 2003–present: Professor of Transport Safety, ITS
- 1993–2002: Principal Research Fellow, ITS
- 1989–1993: Senior Research Fellow, ITS
- 1987–1989: Research Fellow, ITS
- 1985–1987: Assistant Research Scientist, Statistical Research Group, University of Michigan Transportation Research Institute (UMTRI)
- 1977–1985: Research Assistant/Associate, Senior Research Associate UMTRI
- , Modern History, Oxford University, 1969
- , History, The University of Michigan, 1973
- , History, The University of Michigan, 1981
- Chair of Road User Behaviour Working Party of Parliamentary Advisory Council for Transport Safety. PACTS provides advice to Parliament and the Government on safety policy.
- Expert advisor to the European Transport Safety Council. ETSC provides advice to the European Commission and the European Parliament on safety policy.
- Member of Programme Management Panel of UK Foresight Vehicle Research Programme
- Chair of International Working Group on Speed Control (IWGOSC is the collaboration of the various national research projects in Intelligent Speed Adaptation)
Research Projects and Experience
- An Intelligent Traffic System for Vulnerable Road Users (Commission of the European Communities, DRIVE I, 1989-91)
- VRU-TOO: Vulnerable Road User Traffic Observation and Optimization (Commission of the European Communities, DRIVE II, 1991-94)
- HOPES: Horizontal Project for the Evaluation of Safety (Commission of the European Communities, DRIVE II, 1991-95)
- Speed on Rural Arterial Roads (SERC, 1993-94)
- Response to Automatic Speed Control in Urban Areas (EPSRC, 1994-96)
- HINT: Human Implications of New Technologies (European Union DG VII, Transport Research Programme, 1997-98)
- New Technologies for Preventing Accidents at Junctions (EPSRC, 1997-99).
- External Vehicle Speed Control (Department of the Environment, Transport and the Regions, 1997-99)
- Intelligent Speed Adaptation (Department for Transport, 2000–2006)
- HASTE: HMI And the Safety of Traffic in Europe (EC Fifth Framework Growth Programme, 2002–2004)
- EASY: Effects of Automated Systems on Safety (EPSRC, 2007–2009)
- Speed Limit Adherence and its Effect on Road Safety and Climate Change (Commission for Integrated Transport, 2007–2008)